Tuesday, July 8, 2014

DIY Homemade Lavender Sugar Scrub

Let's just say I am {obsessed} with this stuff. Not only do I love it because I know exactly what's in it, but also because it leaves my skin feeling so amazingly smooth. I started making it solely for my belly. It was so dry after Declan was born and I had read from various places that a sugar scrub helped with any moisture issues. And it may be coincidence, but I swear my linea negra faded after using it too..I'll blame it on the scrub;)

I quickly fell in love with this stuff and use it exclusively as a body wash now. It's so awesome that even Jordan loves it! I ran out of the first batch and he was quick to ask when I was going to make more..That's how you know it's a keeper..Plus it is SO EASY to make!

What you'll need:

Sugar (1/2 cup)...I prefer a coarser scrub, so we use Cane Sugar or Turbinado. Whole Foods sells it by the ounce, so we usually purchase from there and it's pretty inexpensive too! Regular sugar works as well:)

Coconut Oil (1/4 Cup)...Try to stick with organic, unrefined, and cold pressed. We just bought a HUGE tub (54 oz.) from Costco for only $18! You can also use olive oil as an alternative..Our family is just slightly obsessed with coconut oil for everything.

Lavender Essential Oil...You can find essential oils at health food shops and online. We purchased ours at Whole Foods for around $13. It seems like a small bottle, but a few drops go a LONG way. *You can also use other essential oils if lavender just isn't your thing ;)

Dried Lavender Buds (Ground)...Optional, but adds to the amazing scent.

Lemon...This is optional also, but I love the extra scent it adds to the scrub.

Container... I prefer glass, however you can use what works for you. A wide-mouthed 4 oz. Mason jar works great for this particular recipe amount! If you live near a Hobby Lobby, they have a glassware section with lots of options..PLUS, you can use an online coupon from your Smartphone to score 40-50% off:) Simply go here to find one. 

Now, let's do this...

I try to stick with a 1:2 ratio (coconut oil:sugar). For example, I will use 1/4 cup oil for every 1/2 cup of sugar. 

First, I measure out 1/2 cup of sugar and place it in my glass container which I will use to store the scrub. 

Coconut Oil is typically solid upon purchasing it, but will need to be melted in order to mix it with the sugar. To melt the oil, I simply place 1/4 cup in a glass measuring cup (do not do this with plastic). To avoid microwaving, I boil water and place the jar into the boiling water until the coconut oil begins to melt. You do NOT want your coconut oil to be boiling as it will melt the sugar, which we do not want. I like this process because it gently melts the oil.

Once the oil is melted, gently pour it into the container with the sugar. It will gradually sink through the sugar. Stir. 

If you think you need more coconut, you can do so and vice-versa with the sugar. You cannot mess this up, I promise:)

Once the oil and sugar is blended well, add your lavender essential oil. I typically add about 7-9 drops, but you can add more or less depending on what you like fragrance-wise. Obviously, you will need more if making a bigger batch of scrub. Stir after adding the drops.

Next, I cut the lemon in half and just spritz some in my sugar scrub mixture. Stir.

Finally, I add a tablespoon-full of ground lavender buds to the scrub, stir well, and VOILA


You may want to stir occasionally between uses to make sure the oil and sugar are still blended well. If you notice the scrub is drying out, simply add more coconut oil.



This is a perfect way to pamper yourself whether you use it daily or every so often. Not only will you smell divine, but your skin will be exfoliated and moisturized too! No worries about what scary things or chemicals are in it either. Yay! 

Warning: This scrub is oil-based, so it does make the shower a little slippery until it rinses away, so be careful! 

Hope you LOVE this as much as I do! Enjoy!
Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment